Clark Bar saved from Extinction, Returning to Pennsylvania for production

Pittsburgh’s iconic hometown candy bar is making it’s way back to Pennsylvania.

On Thursday, Boyer Candy Company in Altoona purchased the rights, recipes as well as the equipment for the Clark Bar from a seller who has not been identified.

Owner of the Boyer Candy Company, Anthony Forgione told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that they are really excited as this is an iconic Pennsylvania candy. He said that he remembers the heartbreak when it left Pittsburgh.

The very popular and loved chocolate-coated peanut butter crunch bar was created in Pittsburgh by Irish immigrant D.L. Clark in the year 1917. The bars were wildly successful with soldiers at the time of World War I.  At that time, they were marketed as individually wrapped bars so as to facilitate shipment to American troops.

In 1955, the Clark family sold the business. It changed ownership several times over the years. The New England Confectionery Co., in Revere,  Massachusetts or better known as Necco had been producing Clark Bars since the 1990s.

Unfortunately, when Necco declared bankruptcy in April, the fate of the Clark Bar and a few other nostalgic candies such as Sweethearts and Necco Wafers conversation hearts were thrown into limbo .

Round Hill Investments won the auction for Necco in May this year with an offer of $17.3 million. Round Hill sold the brand to an unspecified candy maker then, which had prompted the closure of the Revere factory suddenly.

The owner of Boyer, the company that makes Mallo Cups, Mr. Anthony Forgione said that it might take about six months to get production underway. Forgione, however was not ready to reveal the purchase price at that time.

Mallo Cups, is also a very popular product of the company. Six months may be a sufficient time to get the production underway but for candy bar lovers, this time might be too long to wait.

Anthony Forgione said that the company doesn’t have any plans to just pump the product out. He added that they have seen how upset the people were about the potential of this brand not existing in their country and this is what drove them to take a stand and bring it back. He believes that no candy bar should go out of production on its 101st birthday.

The candy lovers must be feeling very thankful to Anthony Forgione and his company for their efforts to bring back the Clark Bar to them. They would be able to have their favorite candy very soon.

Jolie Arnold

The stocks and its ups and downs had always attracted Scoop Cube’s co-founder Jolie Arnold. With a knack for curating business news articles one can surely see the hard work behind his perfectly calibrated grammar and rhythmic enunciation with words.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close